SQL Server 2008 R2 service pack patch update failed with WMI Service error
The Instance is a standalone still it is showing error related to cluster rule and path update failed at intial rule check.
The WMI is the database that stores meta data and defintions for WMI Classes.
Repository - %windir%System32\Wbem\Repository
The below solution works for me for Windows 2008
1. Stop and disable the WMI service in services.msc
2. You can run the below command to verify the consistency of WMI
3. If the repository found inconsistent run the below command from elevated command prompt
Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt - Run As Administrator
4. Winmgmt /resetrepository %windir%\System32\wbem
The above command will rebuilt repository if it is readable
5. Execute step 4 one more time
6. Enable the WMI service and make it automatic
7. Restart WMI service and Re-Run the SQL Patch rule check
8. If still failing then follow below steps
9. Execute step 1
10. Rename %windir%\System32\wbem\repository to some other name
11. Reboot the server
12. Execute step 6
13. Re-run the SQL Server rule check
If you are using Windows 2003, XP then you need to build repository manually, please go through steps provided my Microsoft.